Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Devil

Now the devil is climbing up your ribs
trying to get free of the block of ice
that has held him so long at the bottom
where all the curves and switchbacks have led you.

The world is for loving, that’s no secret
but it’s hard to do without fucking up,
Abner. No wonder Virgil leads you down
to meet your alter ego when you’re bad.

Keep your pen out to poke him in the eye
if he thinks you’re a stairway to heaven.
Like the song says, he’s sold his daughters down
the street, and it ain’t the garment district.

Therefore I risk flames to shake him off me
sending his jealousy, hatred, and fear
back to the bottom of the lake to freeze
for good. Virgil’s in Purgatorio

by now and I’m leading you hungrily
up and around where I came down. I need
your company, I need your wondrous love,
and it’s okay, honey, if you look back.

(25 January 2011)

copyright 2011 by Floyce Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment