Monday, March 5, 2012

A Night Out


He took off the rest of the spring
and started the summer working
in the library, shelving books.
The scholarship came back
as healthy as he hoped it would be.
Melindra took him to see
My Fair Lady.On the wharf they stayed
in the car and undressed
in the front seat and made love
a new song. Love didn’t have
too many in its repertoire.
Lovely loosed her lore
of words you didn’t say in public,
riding him as though the lake
were her car and his body a boat
with sails lighting up the night.
She said, Now I can sell my house.
He said, Now that I have a house
we can give ourselves away
to waves to float out to sea.
Ah, you’re a true romantic, Bobby!
Will you always fuck me?
I will always fuck you Lovely
as long as you fuck me.
Midsummer then. Two days
before the Fourth of July
Hemingway is dead
and no one says it’s suicide
until, as usual, time goes by.

(2 March 2012)

copyright 2012 by Floyce Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment