Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Where Are You Going

There are places to go you’ve never been to,
they'll still be there when the planet catches fire

I wasn't very happy being nowhere,
I’m packing to ride a freight train out of here

Don’t think you can run away from your old home
or you may find the other one in ashes

You always find cardboard and pointed objects
under the moon you can make shapes and words with

Scraps hurled out of supermarkets to dumpsters
are gathered mornings before spoilage sets in

If you were in Hawaii you would eat Spam
before going to drink to not be alone

I have nothing, but I bring with me ample
memory of more difficult times than these

There was always another freighter leaving,
let's go stowaway so we can ship out now

(20 November 2013: II)

copyright 2013 by Floyce Alexander


No comments:

Post a Comment