Friday, January 10, 2014

The Thinking Body (2)

(a later version, written when I thought I'd lost the first one)

I don’t know what she’s thinking. Her eyes look up, the camera
can’t get close enough to capture the long brush between her teeth.
She holds something between her elbows. She’s sitting on a curb
in a blue blouse with black striped pants, her blonde hair coiffed,
her toes between the sandals’ straps; a book, The Thinking Body,
beside her purse. I was reaching puberty when I came to love her.

(10-11 January 2014)

copyright 2014 by Floyce Alexander  

2 comments:

  1. Out of the park, Floyce! A whole story in about 60 words

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meg told me a while back I wrote a virtual story with another poem, "The Brightly Shining." I was a bit astounded, and knowing your prowess with flash fiction exercises Meg and Frances put up for practice from time to time, I take your comment, "A whole story in about 60 words," very seriously indeed. Maybe in the next life I'll write the fiction to which I always aspired. Anyway, my friend, thanks, as always.

    ReplyDelete