Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Song Deeper than Earth

Something so dark in me I pull it from my ribcage and wear it like a heart,
the angelic muse who kept me alive but whose deep wound is the bull
that gores me where the well opens, deep water looks back with its face
blacker than dust under ash that is night whose clouds do not let the moon
show its eyes once I lower the pail into the mouth of the stone and stand
waiting to hear the bottom sound its gurgle, then I raise you, my gamine,
in my arms that will hold you and never let go and drink with my stamen
lowered again and always into the dark, the deep glow of your flower
to bring back nothing but my death and die into you a thousand times
beyond death’s mound of dirt piled where no feet fear to be pulled down.

(20 December 2010)

copyright 2010 by Floyce Alexander
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment