Sunday, June 5, 2011

In Fairfax

What is the mask to wear today?
What would the peacock’s flowering tail say?

I am going back into town,
As you know, my time is my own.

All the stars were so bright last night
The city lights were not in sight.

I wake with nothing I can say
that will illuminate the day.

The Ford Falcon’s on its last legs,
a chicken that’s laid its last egg.

Or a peacock wearing the mask
to take over the poet’s task.

In town all the usual moves
checked off, I go to the movies.

Years past there was Gimme Shelter
I chose over Helter Skelter.

A stunned Mick Jagger watched the films
of what he’d done, where he came from

to this, the time had come to play
a deeper, lasting melody

that would put an end to senseless
destruction. Call it Wild Horses,

 Aphrodite watching a tape
of Dionysus eating grapes.

The ear knows more than the eye sees
when what you hear is what you see.

(5 June 2011)

copyright 2011 by Floyce Alexander

 

No comments:

Post a Comment