Saturday, September 29, 2012

Recalling His First, Absentee Vote for JFK, Seattle, 1960, Age 21

Exchange your tea bags for white hoods.
You have a world to win and winning lose.
Fannie Lou Hamer, Rosa Parks, Viola Liuzzo,
Andy Goodman, Jim Chaney, Mike Schwerner,
Martin Luther King and the Kennedy brothers,
Malcolm X and Birmingham’s four little girls
bombed in church . . . my my, blood did run,
didn’t it, honky children? I-don’t-give-a-damn-
but-just-let-me-be-free-to-do-nothing-about-
everything poetasters of the Western world,
heads up and unrecoverable from thy asses,
don your Klan paraphernalia, help engender
Hell on Earth owned by those hoarding money
or banking on the lottery to make a living,
the thoroughly fucked-up, know-nothing-
and-who-cares . . . O you name the plague,
you’re part of it, the amnesiac advocates of
voter suppression, unlimited corporate funds
from God knows everywhere and anywhere,
all against Barack Obama and kindred souls
of whom I hardly need to tell you I’m one . . .

(29 September 2012)

copyright 2012 by Floyce Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment