Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Vietnam Era

I had already gone away.
Melindra asked me to go.
Cristina said I could stay
in Iglesia de La Puta
working upstairs
until her work was over.

I asked Sanchez if I’d play
clarinet, sing, or what,
if he still wanted me
back with the Company.
Paula insisted she’d do
songs she and Tony wrote.

Tony was suddenly cool,
I knew I was a fool.
Paula had every reason
to want things her own
way now I’d be on stage
reminding her she’d aged.

I started working all day
in La Puta, playing nights,
sleeping with Cristina.
I didn’t blame Paula
keeping me on clarinet
and out of her hair.

What goes through minds
once love is a wound
between them
resembles a misdemeanor
during that time
we call the Vietnam era.

(8 January 2013)

copyright 2013 by Floyce Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment