Tuesday, April 30, 2013

How I Learned What I Know

I was sleeping when my daddy came in
and turned me over on my back
and put his whatever-he-called-it in.
I was too young to say the word no.
He was my daddy, I had no mommy.
She was what he needed. I knew
what he poured in me was meant for her.
When I got older, I thanked God–
you never know if He’s really here–
Thank you, God, for sending me away
and keeping me safe from the animals
who look so much like my daddy
I want to lie down on the street and cry.
Thank God I started to forget him
after I turned myself out.
All my daddys gave me money.
I stashed the bills in my two bra cups
to show my friends over coffee.
When I started loving Gerry Beasley,
he said he knew he could make me fly.
I never objected, I was no nun.

(30 April 2013)

copyright 2013 by Floyce Alexander



No comments:

Post a Comment