Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Unending Drive-bys

I don’t know what it is
but I can say what it seems.
They turn a corner
and there they are.
Do you know what’s next?
Not until car drives off,
if in a hurry bad,
if not a practice run
for you. Hard to play
in the yard, keep the kids
in the back, if there is such.
Always keep a loaded gun.
It’s your inheritance.
Your ancestors’ slavery.

If I had anything to say
that would help, I would.
For a starter, ban guns
in the city. Wyatt Earp
did the same in Dodge:
Check your guns coming in,
Get them on the way out.
My concerns are displaced.
I should be moleing into
the NRA, wrecking them
from within. Or rallying
in parks, MacArthur say,
blistering the warm air,
recruiting nonstop.

(10 April 2013)

copyright 2013 by Floyce Alexander

No comments:

Post a Comment